The Do's and Don'ts of Clearer Skin 0
Skincare doesn’t need to be so complicated and we have found out that actually just doing the basics can make a drastic difference.
Here, to prove our point, is our basic list of the Do’s and Don’ts of skin care…
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin – your skin is made up of cells which are predominantly made up of water. The more hydrated you are, the healthier they will be (and look!)
- Choose your cleansing products carefully – If you have sensitive skin, make sure you use a product that’s gentle on the skin (For us ladies, we would recommend Green People Ultra-Sensitive Cleanser however for the gentleman we would recommend Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash).
- Eat a balanced diet – When your body receives all the nutrients it needs, everything runs more effectively including your skin. For extra points, try and incorporate more Fatty Fish, Avocados, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli and Tomatoes.
- Invest in a good moisturiser – Once you have removed all that daily dirt and make up, make sure you follow up with a good moisturiser. Choose a moisturiser based on type of skin (for dry skin, opt for a more hydrating moisturiser however if you are on the other end of the spectrum get your hands on a lighter one). Men are the biggest culprits for not moisturising, especially after shaving, once again, we would recommend looking in our Bulldog range.
- Take care in all weather conditions – It goes without saying, protect your skin against the sun and make sure you use the right sun protection but in the colder months your skin can take as much damage depending on where you are living. One of the reasons is the cold weather can dry out your skin and make it look dull – anyone else suffer from cracked lips? Make sure you keep a lip balm on you to help keep moisturised.
- Over wash – It sounds strange but if you wash your face too much, you can actually wash away the natural skin oils that you need in order to have that healthy glow (some oils are actually really good for the skin!)
- Sleep in your make up – This is a big no-no which a lot of us are guilty of from time to time. However tired and however tempting, try and clean your skin twice a day and make sure, before you crash in bed, your face is clear so it can breathe.
- Have too much caffeine – Unfortunately that morning coffee is dehydrating you and your skin which can leave it looking dull and dry. Swap your daily coffee for a healthier herbal tea or a decaf alternative. Your skin will thank you for it.
- Use heavily fragranced cleansers – these can dry out and damage even oily skin types. Try and go for a fragrance-free cleanser where possible – leave the nice smells to your perfume!
- Smoke – We are not here to judge but when it comes to your skin, this is one of the biggest reasons for drying it out (as well as adding premature wrinkles). The reason for this is because smoking reduces the blood flow to the skin which can leave it discoloured. Smoking also depletes the body’s Vitamin C which helps repair and protect the skin.
Our Do’s and Don’ts are by no means preaching, we are all guilty of damaging our skin in some way – we live in a modern world. The more we can do to protect the skin we have, the better it is going to look for longer!But remember – don’t be too hard on yourself about it (Stress causes wrinkles...Sorry!)